TR4 jacking - watch out

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 jacking - watch out
From: "Butch Lewis" <butchl@eudoramail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 06:26:06 -0700
I realize that this topic is probably now at the point where it's down to
individual choice. However, thanks to John for clarifying my original comment
regarding the fact that jacking under the diff might distort it. In addition to
John's comment I will add that I was considering the force applied to the
bottom of the diff from the weight of the car. This force is never applied
while the car is resting on the road wheels. I didn't use any calculations, I
simply suggested that the diff casing may not have been designed to support the
weight of the car (that's not it's function) and that it might be possible that
doing so could lead to the leaks that were the original subject of this thread.
I'm done.

     Butch

     The problem is not with the shear force on the axle at the wheel.  It
is with the shear force and bending moment at the point where the axles
enter the diff.  With the diff jacked, these forces are four times higher
than with the car supported by the wheels and tires.
     John Cowan