Re: Tire Codes for DOT Serial Number and Manufacturer Code Identifiers

Subject: Re: Tire Codes for DOT Serial Number and Manufacturer Code Identifiers
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 15:15:02 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

Herald948@aol.com wrote:

> Anyone got any suggestions for Rex? Please reply to him, NOT TO ME, directly.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Andy
>
> Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register
>
> In a message dated 10/03/2000 12:13:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> HuskerRex@worldnet.att.net writes:
>
> > Would appreciate it if you can give me a list of tire manufacture's codes
> so
> > that I can go into a tire store and know what company made the tire.
> > Somebody makes the tires for Sears, Pep Boys, etc.  I have e-mailed DOT two
> > times and they will not come back to me and tell me what the manufacturer
> > codes are.  I have the old codes, but I am sure they are of no use now that
> > tire manufacturers have narrowed down to a dozen or so.  Anything would be
> > appreciated.
> >      Thanks for your consideration
> >              Rex Frey

If anyone else is interested, the files containing the manufacturers'
codes are at the NHTSA FTP site:

ftp://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/manufacture/

They seem to be available in several files in text, and in MS Access,
all with some variant on "newtire" in the file name. I suppose one would
have to check file dates for the latest, but it's clear from this file
that, including recappers, there are a _lot_ more manufacturers than a
dozen or so.

Cheers.

--

Michael D. Porter