Installation question for cigarette lighter

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Installation question for cigarette lighter
From: Day.John@fin.gc.ca
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 09:59:52 -0400
Hello there, Listers. Since I recently installed my Fred Thomas-restored
ashtray in my TR3A, I have come into possession of an original Smiths
cigarette lighter the PO believed had been in a TR of the same vintage. I
have two questions regarding this:

1. Does anyone else have one installed in their sidescreen TR? If so, where?
There is a funny bracket with this lighter, slightly bent (on purpose, not
by accident), with 4 apparent mounting holes. Does/did the lighter mount
below the dash on the TR3A's? I can't find a decent period photo in any of
my Piggott or other TR books.

2. The standard wiring diagrams also do not indicate the inclusion of a
lighter. One clue I have is about 1" of remaining brown/green wire (green?
not sure now). Anyway, it was #38 from the wiring diagram, which ran from
the horns to the A2 fuse connection. Did the lighter splice in on this wire,
or perhaps the PO merely used some spare wire to fool me. There is also 1"
or so of bare wire - likely the ground (earth) wire.

Being a non-smoker, I questioned why I even bothered with the ashtray at
first, let alone the lighter now. A friend pointed out the lighter would
allow acces for any 12V-powered accessories, such as my tire pump, a trouble
light, etc. THAT makes sense to me.

Any help would be appreciated, as would any digipics of installed Smiths
lighters. Cheers! JD