Re: TR3 Starter/flywheel combo ?

Subject: Re: TR3 Starter/flywheel combo ?
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 23:26:59 -0700
Cc: TRlist <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Pat :

Although it would help if you would give us your commission number, I
believe the answer is 'No'.  It sounds like you are referring to the
early starter, which has the shaft entirely inside the housing (with a
cutaway for the gears to engage).  It is correct for TR2/3/3A up to
about TS50000E, but is used only with the press-on ring gear.

The bolt-on ring gear was introduced around TR3A TS50000E, along with
the starter that has much of the shaft outside the housing.  The bell
housing and possibly the trans tunnel were also changed to accomodate
the changed starter design.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO