Re: Re-torquing head nuts, Running rich<AD9F4DC0C02ED311803C0008C791E1FD

To: Dennis Lambert <DLambert@anaheim.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re-torquing head nuts, Running rich<AD9F4DC0C02ED311803C0008C791E1FD4FC366@Exchange01.anaheim.intranet>
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 22:53:05 -0700
Dennis,
    The recommendation I heard was 500 miles.  Mike O'Conner of O'Conner
Classics in San Jose said when he rebuilds engines, he runs the car until
the temperature has stablized hot, lets it cool off over night and then
retorques.  He does this because retorqueing is necessary and he's found
that people just won't bring the car in after 500 miles.  I did my TR-3A 50
miles after a head rebuild and it needed it.
    You should always torque the head when the engine is stone cold.  Can't
help you with the other problems. Good luck.
    John Cowan

At 11:47 AM 10/4/2000, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Well, I've got a little over 200 miles on the TR-3A engine now.  I have
>heard that the head nuts are supposed to be re-torqued after about 200
>miles, but can't seem to find that covered anywhere in the book.  What are
>the pro's and con's on doing this?  Is it supposed to be done cold, or warm?
>
>Also, the engine runs very rich.  Haven't gone through the whole carb
>adjusting routine yet, but I did notice a peculiar thing when I changed
>plugs.  The plugs from #1 and #3 were very sooty and black (to be expected),
>but the #2 and #4 plugs were light tan (just like the book says they should
>be).  I'm confused.  I could understand if #1 and #2 were different from #3
>and #4, but why would #1 and #3 be sooty, while #2 and #4 are normal?.
>
>One other thing: I can't seem to get the idle below about 1100.  Could this
>be due to worn throttle shafts?  How do you check for such a condition?
>
>As always, thanks.
>
>Dennis

     Forward this review to a friend.  To subscribe, send email to:
jfcowan@pacbell.net.  Check out previous reviews at:
http://home.pacbell.net/jfcowan