Re: Weber DCOE40 Fuel Smell

To: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Subject: Re: Weber DCOE40 Fuel Smell
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:59:31 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi,

I've done a few things that seem to work.

One: I have an electric fuel pump. With its own dim/flicker/off switch.
When I'm ready to park the car for a while, I kill the fuel pump and then
run the motor at roughly 2k rpms (high-ish idle) for 30 seconds or so.
THen I kill the ignition.  This seems to empty the fuel bowls a bit and
stops the carbs from "puking" onto the inner fender, especially when the
car is hot.

Two: I haven't done this, but it's a good idea - build a heat shield
between the carbs and the exhaust manifold. See the above reference to
puking. I see that you've done this step... maybe even a bit more
extensively than others on this list...

Three: If you want to totally get rid of the smell, you need to duplicate
what the Triumph factory was kind enough to give you when the car was
new: a complete evaporative emmisions system. This topic is too long for
this venue, or at least to do it justice, but if you can rig up a couple
of hoses to allow the fuel bowls to vent into a carbon canister and then
route the other side of the C.C. back to the fuel tank - you'll be all set.

Four: Make sure that your fuel tank cap is sealing.

Five: If your carbs "spit" a bit at idle, you're probably getting a bunch
of unburned fuel in your air filters. If this is the case, I have no
suggestions other than to urge you to make sure that your car does not
backfire... don't ask me how I know about this one, but can you spell
"carb fire"???

FWIW, when I drove my TR6 with Webers installed on lots of highway miles,
the thing would stink a lot, especially after long highway drives... the
filters used to get soaked with fuel to the point that the K&N filters
would drip onto the inner fender well.

As you can probably imagine, Weber DCOE 40's don't exactly meet
evaporative emmission standards... ;-)

Hope this helps.

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |