RE: crank resonance

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: crank resonance
From: "Richard English" <rgenglish@Home.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 08:18:37 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"

There is actually a number of products that do just this type of vibration
analysis. It's used alot in manufacturing plants in various "predictive
maintenence" packages to try to determine how close a
pump/motor/turbine/etc. is to component failure and thereby cause production
downtime. But prices run in the high hundreds to the thousands as you not
only need the pick-up/microphone but also an interface card that can measure
and store the audio data in high speed/high resolution (the standard I/O
sample rate of Windows 9x/NT/2k is only 20 ms) and a software graphing
package to display the results in a meaningfull manner. Then, of course, you
need to go though enough engines to be able to understand what you're
looking at/for in the data for that type of engine. For instance, does that
new bulge 1/3 down the chord mean the water pump is wearing normally or the
crank's main bearing is starting to go? And how bad is it? The more
expensive ones can use fuzzy logic or some form of AI to help interpret the
data.

Richard English
68 Cadillac C de V conv.
70 GT6 conv.