I'm joining the constructor's association!

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: I'm joining the constructor's association!
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@home.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:34:28 -0500charset="Windows-1252"
Cc: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Hi all,

I've been quiet for sometime now only because my GT6 has now done over 6,000
miles this summer!  This is important since, prior to May 24 I had an axle
failure (3 wheel mode), and was also forced to replace the differential and
transmission.  The car is driven daily and will be until the snow flies.

>From various other money pits I've been involved with,  I realised I could
build a car out of "scraps"... most of which simply do not fit my present
needs.  This car is being prepared to GTS specification  (for GT3 it would
weigh in at 2050 lbs!!) and/or C Modified SCCA Solo.  Beware.  If it is
together in time, it may show up to Breckenridge.

There will be a Herald style perimeter frame to which I will attach the main
hoops.  The cage will be otherwise conventional, depending on suspension
choice.  The outer rails will be located so that the main cage runs "through
the centre" of the door, B post, A post - making the cockpit seat area
slightly wider.

The engine has moved rearward as far as the rules allow.  Depending on oil
pan clearance, it may be lowered as well.  The frame will be notched  for
this at the "bottle neck" but the additional strength of the perimeter frame
should compensate adequately.  The firewall has been notched on the driver's
side to clear the oil filter... which is now at the side of your feet.  A
scattershield will be welded to the frame.  The pedals and wheel may be
relocated.  A cable operated throttle will be needed.

The passenger footwell will be occupied by the header, which will be
modified to exit just ahead of the right rear wheel.  As is, the rear
carburettor sits in the battery box.  However, wherever possible I am
retaining the spitfire sheet metal for, um, originality?

The rear suspension gets interesting.  I have most of a rotoflex setup ready
to rebuild.  I am more interested in grafting a  Honda civic.  Sorry, not
that.. a "Triumph Acclaim" front suspension into the rear end of the car.
That would solve the high roll centre problem and allow the use of CV axles
and 4 wheel disc brakes !!!!!

So, guys,  can I come play, huh, huh?   Please encourage me, I want to be
bad.

Dave Terrick
with thanks to all the previously built bastard cars that have inspired me.
You know who you are.