1960 TR3A Project FS

To: trlist <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1960 TR3A Project FS
From: Kevin D Richards <flybirds@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 00:20:41 -0400
Hi,
I am now a self confessed interloper on the Triumph list. Ok, Ok, so I
do badmouth the TR7's, I just don't like them. (asbestos suit on).

I am an MG guy at heart, but I do enjoy Triumphs...I am not one of those
people who think that MG's are better than anything. Personally, I think
just about all brit cars from that era are nice cars.

but down to the nitty gritty.

I have just come into ownership of a Triumph. It is a rather funny
story. I was at a flea market and there was a TR6 for sale, so I stopped
and had a look, and kept on going. I have my own restoration of a 62 MGA
going on right now, and on my budget, I could never dream of spending
the 7500 they wanted for the TR6. Plus, My wife would have a fit.

So, I was minding my own business when a guy comes up behind me while I
was looking at some other antiques and such, and he asked me if I liked
"those cars", I responded kindly that I like all brit cars, but MG's in
particular.
well, that brought the old sentence that sparks up my eyes.....

"I have this friend that has this car that she wants to get rid of..."

So, being the curious type, and always hoping to find a twincam under a
tarp in someone's garage, I bit..
I went and looked at it yesterday...it was not an MG, but a TR3A....a
1960.
First of all, let me say that I am located in Connecticut.
Turns out, as the story goes, that this car was a restoration project
that did not get finished.
The details:
The car is 96% complete. I do not yet have the car at my garage as I
have an MGA inhabiting the space that will be getting shipped off to
Utah soon, so it will be a while before I can get this car up on jack
stands to have a good look.
>From what I can tell, the car has been taken down to the bare frame. I
looked under the car, and the chassis is nice and has a shiny coat of
paint on it. The body is yellow, a primrose yellow of sorts. The floors
have been totally replaced as have the sills. The body from the doors
back has been completely replaced with new "made in England"
panels...the panels still have the labels.
The Engine has been completely rebuilt. It looks like a brand new
engine, with ....a nice touch here...twin sidedraft webers that have
never seen a driven mile. The interior is brown, and is removed from the
car. Besides a couple of mouse nests and two quarter sized mouse holes,
they are in remarkable condition. The car has wire wheels, and even has
brand new aluminum-finned brake drums.  The front and rear fenders are
all new, although the fronts are fiberglass. The car has a new crane
electronic ignition and performance coil. the trans looks just  as good
as the engine, but I do not know whether or not it has been rebuilt. The
car comes with a multitude of new parts such as: new fender piping,
brake and clutch master cylinders(girling),new wiring harness,  new
brake rotors (fitted), all original chrome and new (sports and classics)
hinges, various new body fitting and packing pieces (The roadster
factory), new air filter housings, a spare head (not new and in unknown
condition), The doors are in great shape as is the whole nose section
and grille. Windshield is great!
Basically, this car has had all of the expensive work done to it, and
even a few goodies thrown in (webers), (su's that are original to the
car are still with it). Missing items so far: speedo and tach (all other
gauges are there and even the keys work the glovebox and ignition),
Brake calipers, and I have the previous owner checking to see that those
items are not hiding somewhere in the garage...I mean someone who went
to this trouble restoring the car must have them stashed somewhere...so
we'll see if they turn up.
This car just needs to be finished. All new british sheetmetal from the
doors back! Newly built engine! webers! wow.

So, I will be getting this car into my garage for the full once-over
soon. I will post more info as I get to know the car a bit better, but
for now, this car is looking fantastic.

I will not lie, I am not a Triumph guy, but if I found a 1960 MGA in
this shape, I would be psyched.

I will be getting the car to the garage and taking a bunch of pics
within the next two weeks. If anyone wants to come and see it then, I
will be happy to show it to them.
As far as Price, I don't know yet. Once I sort out what I have, I'll
come up with one, but I know it will be cheap as I want to sell this
car.
The car, again, is located in southern Connecticut.

Cheers

Kevin Richards