Re: English teachers; NO LBC - Addendum:)

To: Herald948@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: English teachers; NO LBC - Addendum:)
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 07:49:31 EDT
In a message dated 00-10-18 16:29:13 EDT, Herald948@aol.com writes:

<< she was telling me in class
 >  that "if you do not stop drawing car parts and start listening to me, you
 >  will amount to nothing but a cheap car mechanic!" >>

List,

This is really off of the LBC trail but reminded me of my high school
guidance counselor who told my dad not to waste his money - I was not
"college material" - and would probably only achieve the unworthy status of a
mechanic.....I guess in those days (circa 1964), being a mechanic was
perceived to be a lot worse than I ever thought it was.  Funny about job
perceptions.....I remember my wife telling me a story of a bad day she had
while teaching 5th grade in a Philadelphia inner city elementary
school....this was her first job after college (circa 1970).  One boy had
been disruptive all day and she lost her patience - yelled at him to get back
into his seat and told him that if he didn't listen, he'd grow up to be a
garbage collector.  With that he said: "What's wrong with that Miss Sweeney,
my uncle is a trash man and he makes tons of money"!  The kid is now probably
a CEO of some environmental research company......

So, look at us now......all successful in our own way......I wonder if the
tools that counselors use to advise parents are any better....I hope so since
the world certainly has changed a lot since 1964.....

"deep thinking light" has been turned off....looking forward to finishing the
chassis this afternoon........

cheers,

chip

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (restoration underway & looking quite spiffy)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (enjoying the fall weather!)