engine dieseling - time to decarbon?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: engine dieseling - time to decarbon?
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:30:52 -0400

THe 2.5L engine (9.3 : 1 CR.  S2 cam, triple 40DCOEs, 4yrs/ 20,000 miles since
rebuilding, lightly radiused edges on head after milling ) in my 71 GT-6 is
dieseling.  For the first 10,000 miles I was able to use reg unleaded (87
Octane).  When the engine began to diesel  (too much, about 1.5 years ago) I
switched to  mid grade unleaded (89 octane).   Now it diesels too much on mid
grade.  I backed off the timing to 10 deg. BTDC (was running at 12 deg BTDC) and
this improved the situation for a few months.  I prefer not to use ($$) premium
unleaded.

Could the dieseling be caused by carbon build up?  If so, what is the
appropriate quantity of water to spray down the carb throats?  I am thinking of
using a spray bottle (such as window cleaner comes in).  If this is an
appropriate water applicator - how many squirts / unit of time / cylinder?  I
have never tried to do such a thing.

Another question in the same vein.  Sometimes (maybe once in 100 times) when
shutting off the engine, it runs in REVERSE direction or a second or so.  Why?