RE: TR7 #BFH11

To: "'Eganb@aol.com'" <Eganb@aol.com>, Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: RE: TR7 #BFH11
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 11:31:23 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Strange but Seemingly True Dept.
        I have read of, and tried once, the following trick- (
successfully):
        With your trusty Bernzomatic torch, heat up the offending
bolts-fairly hot- and then apply a wax crayon ( eg. Crayola ) to the
interface under the bolt head.  The crayon should melt readily, smoke is a
good sign...  the melted parrafin seems especially good at finding its way
into the rusty threads.   The wax will solidify, but it is fairly slippery
and helps to release the fastener without twisting off the stud, etc. Of
course the parrafin is flammable, so be careful if you make a second attempt
with the torch!  ( Usual cautions apply..)
        I have been a PB Blaster advocate,  I think it is better than the
others ( WD40/liquid wrench/LPS/Kroil, etc...)   The crayon trick MIGHT be
the answer to your problem. It worked for me when the other methods failed.
Good Luck
Bob Westerdale
59 3A  TS36967E

I have been spraying the exhaust manifold bolts with PB Blaster for a week
or
so, in hopes that they will come off when my replacement manifold shows up.

But I'm still concerned that a bolt may break off in the head, leading to
all
sorts of drilling and re-threading that I definitely don't want to get into.

So, any other suggestions on how to increase my chances that the bolts will
come out?

Thanks, and have a good weekend.

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7