Miata vs TR4 cost (was New car vs. old car pollution: stats)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, Rich@Scotti.com
Subject: Miata vs TR4 cost (was New car vs. old car pollution: stats)
From: Cregg Cowan <cowan@erg.sri.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 14:12:06 -0700
Cc: cowan@erg.sri.com
Hi Rich,

I don't have anything against Miata's, but one part of your co-worker's
response
begs for clarification:

        >1) My total cost over the last ten years is less than the cost of new
parts
        for a TR4 during that period.

Assuming his "total cost" includes the Miata purchase price, I don't
understand
how that total can be less than parts for a typical TR4 over 10 years.  I
can only
conclude that he's not comparing his costs to those for a typical Triumph.

Perhaps he's comparing costs to a frame-off restoration (which we all know
costs
more than the value of the car), or to a race car?

Just Curious,
Cregg Cowan
71 TR6