TR6 - Pertronix experts, anyone?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 - Pertronix experts, anyone?
From: Richard.R.Olson@tc.faa.gov (Richard R Olson)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 09:08:47 -0400
     Listers:

     In '96 I bought a Pertronix electronic ignition (LU-166 marked on
     on package, but the magnetic pickup says LU-162/164 for some
     reason?? [I hope this isn't for a car with a different number of
     cylinders, duh!], the module is labeled 11Q-S) for my '72 TR6.  I
     faithfully followed the installation instructions (1. remove points
     2. install Pertronix 3. Attach 2 wires  4. Go ), but could not keep
     the engine running (sounds like it was on 2-3 cylinders)unless the
     distributor was turned until the vacuum unit was hitting the
     cylinder head.  Even then, it didn't run well at all.

     I contacted Roger Bolick[sp?] and he was very helpful with
     additional hints, but regardless, nothing helped.  The folks at the
     company said that if the troubleshooting showed that the unit was
     bad (voltmeter reading between 1-3 volts while cranking with the
     coil HV lead grounded) it could be returned, but otherwise they
     couldn't help me.

     So I reinstalled the points and put the Pertronix on the shelf,
     until last week.

     I had hoped the Pertronix would have aged, and maybe fixed itself,
     but, naaah.  After 4+ years, I again tried installing the Pertronix
     unit, but got the same symptoms.  The troubleshooting shows a
     steady reading of 12 volts during cranking; Pertronix guide says
     this indicates a possible open circuit between the distributor and
     coil.  Well, the red wire is on the coil + and the black wire on
     the coil -, there just isn't too much more to check.

     I would like to go electronic, but don't want to invest another $65
     in a Pertronix if I'm going to see the same results.  I know I had
     30 months to return the thing, but it kinda got overlooked.

     Any hints for solving this problem?

     Thanks,
     Rick Olson