Have you installed new ZS throttle shafts & bushings?

To: TRlist <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Have you installed new ZS throttle shafts & bushings?
From: "Riggs, R Kevin" <rkriggs@ugsolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:31:47 -0700
Friends,

My '72 TR6 does not idle well, and it stumbles quite a bit on acceleration.
I believe I've got the ignition system tuned well now, and I'm about to
begin tuning the carbs.  I have rebuild kits, and I'm quite comfortable
installing them, as I've done so twice before.  But I'm curious about the
feasibility of installing new throttle shafts and bushings myself.  Have any
of you done this?  The difference in price between just the parts vs. parts
+ installation is so steep that I'm tempted to try it.

Were the carbs bushed when new, or is it necessary to over-bore new holes
for the bushings?

If machine work is required, how extensive is it?  I have access to a
college-run machine shop used for vocational training, and if I've got the
guts to let them try it, I have no doubt they've got the guts to give it a
go...

If the carbs are already bushed, is there a special technique for removing
the existing bushings so as not to damage the soft aluminum carb housing?

I seem to recall that the screws holding the throttle plate to the throttle
shaft are difficult to remove, and I remember reading of a lister's problem
with the fit of the throttle plate after having his carbs professionally
rebuilt.  Are there special assembly techniques for the new shafts in the
rebushed bodies, and for the plates to the shaft?

If you've been there and done that, can you draw me a map?

Thanks,
Kevin Riggs
'72 TR6
Huntsville, AL