TR7 BFH#16

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: TR7 BFH#16
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 18:04:34 EDT
Ok, I'm quitting for the night because I'm sure I'm not using the Plastigauge
correctly.

I put strips in the tops of the main journal shells and the top rod shells,
then put in the crank and put on the bottom main and rod shells.  Then I got
ready to tighten everything down.  Of course to do that, I have to turn the
crank to get at all the rod bolts accessible, which of course smears the
plastigauge.

So, I've taken the crank back out, and am dismayed to see a couple of short
and very fine scratches on two upper rod shells.  Man, those shells must be
soft!

I'll assume that I should put the plastigauge on the crank where it meets the
bottom main and rod shells, and do one bearing at a time, tighten it down,
then remove it and check the plastigauge?  but i don't want to risk more
scratches when turning the crank, and i assume i shouldn't oil the crank and
shells because that will mess up the plastigauge measurement?

I don't think the scratches on the two shells are too serious, but I ain't
doing anything else until I hear from you guys!

by the way, in terms of putting everything back together, the alignment
should be that the top and bottom keeper tags on the shells should butt up
against one another?

thanks.

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC