Use of relay in headlight circuit

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Use of relay in headlight circuit
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 09:56:01 -0800 |July 24, 2000) at 11/09/2000 01:18:18 PM
Somewhere in the fog banks of my memory, I recall a discussion on the list
about be advantages of installing a relay into the headlight circuit.  I
remember the main point being that the current load is not running through
the switch but through the relay.  That sounds like a better design than
that current situation where the light switch takes the full current load.

My question is this:  is this really a concern?

I do not use driving/fog lights but do use a set of Halogens for my main
lamps.  However, I do like to consistently improve my TR6, especially if it
overcomes any potentially troublesome shortcuts that Triumph/Lucas/Leyland
made in building my TR6.

TIA,

Dave Stauffacher
Ramona, Ca