Wrinkle paint

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Wrinkle paint
From: MOWOGMAN@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 22:42:28 EST
In a message dated 11/13/00 8:49:38 PM Central Standard Time, kmr@pil.net
writes:

> Say, anyone know where to purchase the black wrinkle finish type paint as
> found
> on these switch panels?  Any particular (quality) brand?

Eastwood sells wrinkle paint I believe, and I've seen it in local stores.
Or, if you're daring, you can usually do it yourself.   I believe that
rustoleum spray paint will say something like for multiple coats, let the
first one dry "x" amount of hours before applying the second coat.   To get a
wrinkle finish, simple don't do that.   The solvents or fish oils (in the
case of Rustoleum) will not have a chance to evaporate and be trapped under
the second coat, as it works at escaping, the solvents will disrupt and
wrinkle the top coat.   Some experimentation might be necessary, but I seem
to recall that if you just let it "dry" for a short time and then shoot it
again (thicker coat = more wrinkles) you should be able to get the desired
results.   Obviously, this was discovered by accident (rushing the process)
and if someone knows more about it they can chime in.

John
Oostburg, WI
'60 BT7
'60 Mini
'80 TR7 (freshly repainted Carmine red!)
'69 AA
'57 Isetta
Etc.