TR7 BFH#28

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: TR7 BFH#28
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 12:22:29 EST
Well, another day to take it REAL SLOW.  On Saturday I was determined to get
the rear oil seal and plate in place, attach the clutch, and then the
transmission.   First I took the cylinder head nuts/bolts, cleaned off the
oil, and re-torqued them dry to 55 foot pounds.  But the rest of my
aggressive plan blew up when I managed to somehow cross thread one of the
bolts that holds the backing place where the oil seal fits.  Lord knows how I
did it, I've put it in and taken it out a dozen times.

I was so mad I was ready to break something.  But wait, I already had!!!!

I probably could have fixed the threads, but given that the plate is pretty
inaccessible when everything is back in the car, I calmed down and ordered
another plate which will be here Tuesday.

"No problem, I thought,"  I'll quit for today, leave the engine hanging in
the air from the lift, and go see Schwarzenegger in "The Sixth Day," which
was pretty crummy by the way, and then work on replacing the bushings on the
transmission's gear shift housing assembly on Sunday.

Well, guess what?  It's Sunday in temperate North Carolina and it's
SNOWING.....

Engine and lift are covered, so looks like it's off to see "Men of Honor"
today.....

So, the question for the day is, "Can I leave the engine hanging from the
lift?  I'm not worried about the front chain which attaches to the block
where the air pump goes, but the rear chain is attached to the last intake
manifold bolt, and I'm concerned that it might be too much of a strain?

Also I'm keeping the engine up in the air only a few inches above the ground
in case something broke free.

As usual, thanks for providing sound advice, and not laughing....

So I left the engine hanging in the air from the lift.  .

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC