RE: Can one "pull start" a TR7 w/AT?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Can one "pull start" a TR7 w/AT?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 11:27:12 -0800
On Thursday, November 30, 2000 7:26 PM, KSP [SMTP:ksp@mciworld.com] wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My son and I just picked up another TR7 to use as a parts car. It's in fairly
> decent shape and did run recently - won't turn over now.
> ISTR from my early days with sick cars with automatic transmissions that it
> is
> possible to pull (or alternatively push) them to start - similar to popping a
> clutch on a manual tranny car. The process was to leave the transmission in
> "D" and get the car to about 30 MPH and it would start. Perhaps my brain
> cells
> are even fewer than I thought, or maybe I should stop smoking that Maui
> wowie.
> Anyway, can anyone confirm or refute this process?

I can confirm you should stop smoking Maui wowie before working on cars.
 Afterwards is much better.

The push start is possible only on very certain transmissions (those with a
second "rear pump" driven from the output shaft).  I don't know, but doubt that
the TR7 had such a transmission.

If you have a running TR7 with automatic, it's easy enough to find out.  Find
an open road with no traffic, get up to about 50-60 mph, then shift into
neutral and shut the engine off.  Wait for the engine to die completely, then
shift into drive without starting the engine.  If your transmission has a rear
pump, the engine will start turning again (usually with a definite jerk as the
clutches engage).  If it doesn't, the car will continue coasting as though it
were in neutral.  This process is not harmful to the engine or transmission,
but watch out you don't get rear-ended <g>

Randall