Re: weights & measures

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: weights & measures
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 08:18:19 -0500
Cc: "David Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "scott s." <75270_3703a@csi.com>
Message text written by "Phil Ethier"
>>When I hold up my 1/4 whitworth wrench
>next to my 1/4 SAE wrench there is no resemblance.

True.
<

I think the idea is that the 1/4 in whitworth wrench is for use on the 1/4
in whitworth bolt (shank dia) which has a head that is closer to 7/16 or
1/2 in across the flats.  This works fine as long as the head size is
standardized.  SAE bolts have a standardized shank/head formula except
where there are exceptions.  There are few but still some and using a 5/6
Whitworth wrench on a 1/4 in whitworth bolt because it has a non-standard
head runs counter to the intent of the system, I think.

Oh well, the  best intentions always go awry somewhere along the line.

Cheers

Dave