re: can't start/rotate engine

To: <triumphs-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: can't start/rotate engine
From: "Roy" <techman@metrolink.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:47:24 -0500
I have seen where if an engine sat for a while as indicated (~3 months or
so) the clutch actually stuck to the flywheel so that even though car was
"in neutral" it really was not. Apparently the clutch had some sort of stuff
in it that caused slight surface corrosion and the wear pads became stuck to
the flywheel. It doesn't take much to break that loose -- try rolling car
down the driveway a little and "popping the clutch". A couple shots like
that and it should break free. Of course, if you really have something stuck
within the engine---that's a different story. In that case, I have seen
where the main connection rod bearing bolts were overtightened (or the same
for the crank main bearings) and it was practically impossible to rotate the
engine. Had to pull the pan, loosen the bolts and re-torque them to a lower
value.

Roy
'59 TR3 TS63103LO (in restoration)
techman@metrolink.net