Rebuilt engine is back to life

To: 6 Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Brits <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rebuilt engine is back to life
From: KTnKT <ktnkt@cape.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:18:08 -0500
   Greetings folks,
                    Well, after a full top and bottom rebuild, my TR6 is
breathing again. Thanks to all those who answered my questions and those
who came before via the archives. And of course to the BFH series !! It
started and ran out rather nice, with oil pressure coming in at 80 psi.
The previous night I spun up the pressure with a tool a friend made for
attatching a drill to and inserting into the oil pump. Worked rather
slick. Only problem now is getting the carbs to lean out, as the mixture
was running rich at idle and wouldn't change even after adjusting the
needles (76 TR6 w/adjustable needles). I did a rebuild on both carbs
while the motor was out, but didn't replace the needles. I just pulled
off both carb tops and took out a needle. Assuming the needle is worn,
would it be obvious to the naked eye??  It doesn't look worn. However,
when I insert it into the hole in the base of the carb (the jet?) it is
able to go all the way in with no stopping from a taper in the needle.Is
this normal, or should the taper in the needle keep it from sliding all
the way down ? Apparently these have non-replaceable orifices, so if
it's a case of those being worn, what is the next step ?  I have a carb
rebuild instruction sheet I got from the list (thanks, John Phillips)
that says it's uncommon for the orifice to be worn to that point, but if
mine is, then so is the spare set of carbs I have. Any help is
appreciated at this point. Now I start sanding the body and panels.
     Kevin
     76 TR6 CF55588U and now O too