Three pot Girling calipers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@aoutox.team.net
Subject: Three pot Girling calipers
From: Windoseat@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 11:04:08 EST
Hi;

I was over visiting the relatives tonight and my father-in-law was cleaning
out the garage. He showed me a box of four Girling calipers that have three
pistons. One large and two smaller ones on the opposite side. I took one home
and checked it against the caliper from my GT6+. It is an exact match as far
as overall size and location of the mounting points.

Anyone ever hear of this kind of arrangement?

My father-in-law thought they were for a larger car like Jag and the three
pot arrangement was design to fint inside a particular wheel. The caliper
also has a spacer between the halves to fit a ventilated rotor. The spacer
was added by Kelsey Hayes during a development program my father-in-law was
working on at the KH test facility back in the 60's

Just thought this was kind of curious and wondered if anyone could shed any
light on the three pot arrangement?

Greg Wolf
1970 GT6+ "Ian"
KC79746L