Re: bubbles in the antifreeze....

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: bubbles in the antifreeze....
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@azstarnet.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 20:31:04 -0700
Brad Kahler wrote:

> .....and unfortunately I think I know the answer to whats causing them.
>
> How about it, any ideas on what else to look for besides a blown head
> gasket?

On one of my non-British cars I had a similar symptom.  Was able to diagnose by
connecting my air compressor to each spark plug opening (using the hose from my
compression tester) and pumping up each cylinder to about 80 lbs.  Had to
position the valves so both were closed on the cylinder being tested.  All went
fine on the first two, but number 3 promptly produced bubbles in the coolant,
confirming my suspicions that the head gasket had failed.

Wish I could tell you this probably isn't your head gasket, but at least you
might be able to be sure before you open it up.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A