RE: Silver TR3? Now national racing colors

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Silver TR3? Now national racing colors
From: "Brad Eells" <bradlnss@lightspeed.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 16:58:42 -0800
Actually,
I believe that back in the days before you painted your car whatever color
the sponsor who was paying for it wanted; cars were painted in the national
racing colors of their manufacturer as defined by the precursor of the FIA.
That's why when you see old Formula One footage from the 60's or before; the
Lotus was BRG, the Ferrari was red, The Bugatti - blue and so on.  Some
'private entrants' had their own color schemes (Cooper, Brabam, Ecurie
Ecosse) but most seem the follow the practice.
I also believe that Team Lotus was one of the first to abandon the practice
in the late 60's or early 70's with the Gold Leaf Tobacco colors on team
cars (red, white and gold)
By the way...if I offended anyone with the 'nationalist' comment, I humbly
apologize. Tongue was firmly planted in cheek, hence the ;-) sign off.
I received a few comments that led me to believe I may have been taken
seriously.
I honestly don't like the idea of painting my race car metallic blue and
white, but those were the colors it raced and won a regional championship
in, so...

Regards,

Brad
'62 TR4
'65 TR4A

>  I beleive the colours are that of the driver, not that
>of the car.

Entrant, I think.