Re: 2001 VTR event questions... long. <3A828071.3FD2679E@zianet.com>

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Subject: Re: 2001 VTR event questions... long. <3A828071.3FD2679E@zianet.com>
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 15:48:02 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net, 2000-register@autox.team.net, vtr@autox.team.net, jonmac@ndirect.co.uk
In message <3A828071.3FD2679E@zianet.com>you write:

>Given those setbacks, I suggested to John that his computer could be
>fitted with a web cam for not much money, and that I could simply bring
>a laptop with a cam to the event (determined that John should appear,
>virtually or otherwise <smile>), and on an afternoon with no crucial
>events, I could simply invite list members up to the room, where they
>could chat with John and ask him any questions they might have in mind,
>or just trade tall tales and lies, as circumstance dictated. <smile>
>While the video would be slow through the phone lines, it would be
>better than nothing.
>
>The current problem with this proposal is that John did some
>investigation into what it would require to install video on his
>existing computer, and the cost is probably excessive. So, if any UK
>members have some suggestions for John along the lines of low-cost,
>efficacious equipment, or other possibilities, please respond to him and
>to me.

  I have an Agfa CL20 digital camera that can also be use as a web cam.
  They go for less than $200CAN (that is less than 90 pounds sterling).
  All you need is a computer with USB port and if want sound, a microphone.
  I was able to run NetMeeting and have video and sound with a friend
  over a 33.6K modem.

  It comes with software where you can save video clips with resolution
  up to 640X480 but you'll have to have a big hard disk for this option.

  The draw backs are in video mode you need a bright light source (atleast
  a 100W light), it does not have white balance mode build in to the camera,
  the onboard flash has a very short range for indoor pictures, it does
  not come with a USB cable, and no LCD for previewing pictures.  Other than
  that it is great mega pixel camera for under $200CAN.

  You can find more info on the camera from here:

  http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/2000/49/ns-19655.html

  For sample pictures taken with the CL20, here is the link of my work
  Xmas lunch:

  http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/xmas

>John also suggested that he might be able to provide a home-made video,
>of the old and current factory sites, a little of the exteriors of
>Coventry and, perhaps, some idle ramblings and some views of his current
>object of desire, Canley Girl, so long as he could recoup some or most
>of the costs of production and editing through sales of videos; John
>says he knows someone who might be willing to help with editing if the
>time involved is not too dear, so the cost for each copy would not be
>extravagant.
>
>Having said all this, I suppose I'm querying the various lists for
>suggestions, technical and otherwise, and for support. John and I have
>had many email conversations on the means by which individuals and
>groups in the UK, the US and the rest of the world can communicate more
>fully with each other, and establish stronger ties, and I feel that
>John's presence (whether virtually, or in person) at a national US
>Triumph event, would greatly strengthen those ties.
>
>Cheers, all.
>
>--
>
>Michael D. Porter
>Roswell, NM
>[mailto: mporter@zianet.com]
>
>`70 GT6+ (being refurbished, slowly)
>`71 GT6 Mk. III (organ donor)
>`72 GT6 Mk. III (daily driver)
>`64 TR4 (awaiting intensive care)
>`80 TR7 (3.8 liter Buick-powered)

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |
Dave Chu                                 \/  \/       | /|     | |
Dept. of Elec. & Comp. Eng.                           |/ |     | |
Concordia University              Voice:(514)848-3115   Fax:(514)848-2802
1455 de Maisonneuve W. H961       Email:dave@ece.concordia.ca
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1M8  http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/addr.html