TR4 Options (was Re: TR4 Dash)

To: bradlnss@lightspeed.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 Options (was Re: TR4 Dash)
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 17:04:58 EST
In a message dated 09-Feb-01 02:22:54 Eastern Standard Time,
bradlnss@lightspeed.net writes:

> I would like to know if anyone has specific information on whether the wood
> dash was ever an option. The sales literature and price lists I have
> indicate the cars came with the metal dash and then the wood dash.
>
> No dealer or factory optional extra to add the dash after the car was
> produced.
>
> Any thoughts???
>
> Brad

Brad, when I ordered my car in Jan '64, it was my first car.  I spent a lot
of time going over all the options and the prices for them.  I do not recall
any optional wood dash being mentioned in January '64.  I do remember: the
Surrey top, OD, wire wheels, Michelin tyres, tonneau cover, leather seats and
radio as options.

FWIW - My factory export invoice dated 11th June 1964 (the date I picked up
the car at the factory showroom) shows:

"Extras: Leather, Michelin X tyres, Heater, Tonneau Cover, Veneer Facia,
Sunvisors, Wire Wheels"

I know I had paid extra for the wheels, tyres and leather interior.  I don't
recall being charged for the heater and sunvisors because I think they were
standard on US spec cars.  And as I said previously the wood dash was a
surprise but I definitely did not have to pay for it when I picked up the car
at the factory showroom. The wood dash was not an overlay. It is a sturdy
laminated plywood board with a walnut veneer, high gloss finish and cut to
fit across the dash with holes for the gauges and ashtray.

Art