Electric fans: good?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electric fans: good?
From: "David Brister" <david@dbrister.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 00:09:08 -0000
Dear Listers

The thread on electric fans has been interesting and informative, thanks
everyone so far who has contributed. An allied subject has been the
balancing of crankshafts and fans--- are they interdependent?

Also we have had an interesting debate about the power consumption by a
belt driven fan versus the  power requirements of an electric one.

The discussions have convinced me of the merit of converting a standard
engine to electric fan cooling but  respectfully put to the list  the
following queries:

What if anything happens to the balance of one's engine if one simply
removes the fan and the hub extension and replaces the  fan extension
with a robust steel washer to hold the pulley together and a shorter
bolt?

I have owned two cars which have had crankshaft dynamic balancers which
looked like mini flywheels and were bolted in front of the crankshaft.
Should something like that be fitted? If so where would one be found? If
something like this was necessary why are they not to be found in the
main suppliers' catalogues? Or fitted as OEM?

Looking forward to learning something,

David Brister
1967 TR4A, which has never overheated, even in 30C traffic jam!!