Re: U-Joint Replacement

To: Fred Marks <marks_fred@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: U-Joint Replacement
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 13:06:28 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Fred,
The easiest way that I have found is to use two sockets and a large vise.  one
socket is slightly smaller in outside diameter than the
bearing cup and the other is slightly larger in the inside diameter than the
cup.

Clamp the assembly in the vise with the sockets over opposing cups and start
tightening the vise.  If it doesn't move as you tighten,
it can be coaxed by tapping with the hammer as you tighten the vise.  The joint
will be pushed toward the larger socket until the
center of the joint contacts the flange.

At that point, you should be able to remove the cup with a good vise grip
pliers.  Once that cup is out, lubricate the other cup and
flange and then drive the cut back into its flange until the joint comes free.
Then you can drive the cut all the way out.

I just did 6 of them using that process and it works quite well.

Joe