RE: TR3a questions

To: David Templeton <davidt@opentext.com>, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3a questions
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:22:52 -0500
David,

>1/ after taking apart the front end and having the 40 or so pieces what is
>my best method of cleaning and refinishing the pieces?  My fear sand
>blasting might do some harm to the brass inserts.  Do I try and reassemble
>as soon as possible after everything is cleaned?

You should be soaking them in a parts cleaning solution and get them "eat off"
clean. I have used kerosene with a GUNK additive in good size plastic tub.
Later I bought a parts washer tub onlegs from Harbor Freight and I used a
water solution with that Castrol brand cleaner.  The water based is very good
but takes more time. But when your finished there is no oil or grease to
hinder painting.

You really should scrap all the big stuff with a paint scraper and then you
have to let the parts sit in the solution for a couple of days.  A stiff nylon
parts cleaning brush and a brass wire brush helps.

I soaked mine in a shallow bowl of laquer thinner for a couple minutes to pull
out any trace of contamination and then used 2 coats or POR-15.  But I think
that the epoxy primer and enamel method will do a good job.

BTW,  those bronze bushings are supposed to be replaced.  Usually you replace
all the rubber bushings and seals, the ball joints and tie rod ends, the
trunnions if the shafts or internal threads are worn and the nylon/steel
bushes in the lower inner wishbone joints.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L-O - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn