re:TR4 or TR4A

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re:TR4 or TR4A
From: Craig Della Penna <railtrail@map.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:12:13 -0500
Hi listers,

I wanted to pipe-in, belatedly, on this thread of TR4 or TR4A that Brian
and others so skillfully addressed.

I discovered an interesting tidbit about the history of my TR4.

I bought it from the VTR ad list in 11/98 after searching for 3 years
for one with the 3 piece, major option group [Surrey Top, OD and Chrome
Wire Wheels],  intact from the factory and a car that was orignally
painted in Triumph Racing Green.  I located it in VA  and that owner,
sold it to me as a 1965 TR4 [CT 36653 LO].

Since the last TR4 was in 64, I thought 1965 was just a typo from some
past beauracrat at the RMV, but upon buying a history of the vehicle
from the British Heritage folks, it has an interesting pedigree.

Apparently the original owner bought the car in 9/64, took delivery in
England and proceeded to drive it around the continent for three months
as a 1964 model.  He then shipped it back to NYC and then  registered it
here in the USA as a 1965---as it has been ever since. BTW all numbers
on every component matches the original build list.

I've had the body done over as well as some of the mechanicals. The
interior is  equipped with worn TR6 seats right now, but I hope get some
decent TR4 seats this summer.  I have jpg pix of the car if anyone is
interested. Drop me a line.

--
Happy Rail-Trails,

Craig P. Della Penna
New England Representative
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy
P.O. Box 656, Agawam, MA  01001
Phone:  413-789-7154
Fax:  413-789-2256

> Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 09:35:57 -0500
> From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
> Subject: RE: TR4 or TR4A?
>
> Peter,
>
> What a great mystery to solve.  Based on reading your note and the
replies of
> others  it seems like it is a TR4.  I have a '62 TR4 with a '66 TR4A
engine,
> gearbox and other bits here and there... but there is no way to
confuse the