tumbler media and blasting media long

To: vafred@erols.com, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: tumbler media and blasting media long
From: HAMILTON DOUG <douglasehamilton@home.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:27:53 -0700
Fred,
I've had a look through the site in your message and can't find any of
the heavy cutting media on it. They have treated and untreated walnut
shells and corn cob both of which I've used and are only useful for
polishing. The stuff from Eastwood looks very coarse almost like
aquarium gravel here's a link to what it looks like.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/cgi-bin/sgin0101.exe?T1=43204a&UID=2001033013251282&UREQA=1&FNM=20
I looked at some media at a local sandblasting supply house called clean
blast or easy blast that looked a little like the stuff from Eastwood
it's available in several different grit sizes but only in 50 lbs bags
and was over $150.00 for a bag, so I don't know if it works and at that
price I'm not likely to find out. They did give me some 100-120 grit
aluminum oxide to try out but they had an open bag and sold me just 5
lbs of it at $2.00 a pound, I haven't tried it in the tumbler yet. They
let me test the difference between aluminum oxide and #5 glass beads in
2 of their blast cabinets. The aluminum oxide gives as smooth a finish
as #7 glass beads and cleans as quickly as #5 glass beads and they tell
me it last 2-3 times as long as glass beads. After that demo I bought
some #5 glass beads for my cabinet blaster I had been using #7 and found
it took to long to get things clean but did leave a much smoother finish
than my machinest(#5 ?) was getting when he cleaned my cylinder heads
and other parts.
This leads me to a question for the group what media have you used, at
what pressure, and how where the results?

I have used the following in my blast cabinet:
- baking soda @40-50psi great on anything but heavy rust, leaves a very
smooth surface about 400 grit, but hard to see what you are doing with
the dust cloud.
- #7 glass beads @60psi slower as baking soda, almost as smooth a
finish, no dust cloud, doesn't work well on rust
- walnut shells 40-100psi just seemed to bounce off anything harder that
copper, no luck on my part with it
- #5 glass beads @60psi cleans the fastest of the bunch, but leaves the
trade mark peening on most parts

I've used the following in my tumbler:
- untreated walnut shells cleans well but not that high a polish (this
is what I used on my carbs they came out looking like new carbs but not
overly polished)
- untreated corn cob with a small envelope of polishing powder, cleans
well and leaves a show quality shine on parts
- treated walnut shells cleans faster than both the above and leaves a
show quality shine on parts
- glass beads don't waist your time the media needs sharp edges to do
anything in a tumbler, 12 hours and parts look the same

Doug Hamilton