Re: Heralds in Vietnam

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Heralds in Vietnam
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 22:23:47 +0100
In a message dated Wed, 6 Jun 2001  9:12:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
"Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com> writes:

<< Just something interesting I noticed on the History Channel last
night... I was flipping through and they had a documentary on the Viet
Nam War, specifically the assault on the American Embassy in Saigon, I
think(I didn't catch exactly) during the 1968 Tet Offensive, and in
one wide shot of the building, I saw a familiar little white
convertible go zipping by- I am almost
certain it was a Herald! It certainly looked to be one, but the
picture was just a hair fuzzy, and they only showed it once. >>

Andy Mace replied:
Scott, it most certainly is possible. I have not been there to see for
myself (and I don't have cable or satellite TV, so I can't even get to
the History Channel). The Spare Parts Catalogue, in its pages and
pages of lighting system spec's (headlamps in particular) for various
countries, lists Vietnam as one of many markets for which special
lighting was specified. (Might have been similar to France; I don't
have the SPC here at work, so I'm not sure.)

Perhaps I can provide a fuller picture? LE engine (low compression at
7:1), oil bath air cleaner, heavy duty suspension, 5.60x13 tyres in
place of 5.20s, front drum brakes, engine skid plate, tropical
radiator, tropical thermostat, no heater, rubber bumpers deleted in
favour of Vitesse aluminium, French lighting (yellow headlamp bulbs)
not sealed beams rated at 45/40watt - birthday cake candles gave more
light. Airconditioning an option at GBP235 which restricted maximum
speed to about 45mph because of the load to drive the compressor. Cost
and road performance usually precluded this as an option unless you
were exceptionally wealthy, were happy to drive slowly and the air
temp was hotter than hell. All in all, a highly desirable example of
the marque!

Jonmac