TR4: non-problematic problems (MS-joke free)

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4: non-problematic problems (MS-joke free)
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:44:53 -0600
argue
about what fluif to use in trunnions instead?" -- I tried to come up with even a
slightly technical problem or two with my Triumph. Here's what I have following
rainy day, glad I don't live in Houston:

1. Soft-top leaks in heavy rain:

Yesterday it rained a whole bunch. The tonneau worked well during the day -- I
didn't think it would rain that much -- and luckily I had the hood in the boot.
On
both sides, rain trickles down the inside of the side windows about 4 inches
back
from the front of the window. Will my doors fill up with water eventually? Is
there a way to get the top to seal better? No leaks anywhere else to speak of,
just that slow trickle. I have an older looking AMCO top which is nice and tight
otherwise. Should I just get a TR3 to eliminate those troublesome side windows?

2. Smells like gas, but not with top up:

It's not the burrito I had for lunch. I figure either the leaky carbs, a too
rich
mixture, or the slight leak in the fuel level sender gasket were to blame. I
don't
have the top up much -- several old school list members convinced me I should
just
wear a club t-shirt while driving the Triumph this past winter, so it's been up
maybe a couple days over the past year of daily driving. But given that I don't
get the smell with the top up, does one culprit come to the forefront? Can I
eliminate the fuel sender gasket as a prime suspect? Am I right in thinking the
too rich mixture is the most likely cause?

3. Car like tropical forest with top up in rain:

On the drive home in the rain, I had to wipe all the windows down at each
stoplight. With the heater on, and the switch pulled for the demisters, I could
make it a couple lights without mopping up the windshield. Is there a perfect
mix
of the limited "climate control" settings that will reduce internal fogging?
Say,
hot demisters and the fresh air "scoop"? Cold demisters, open window, fresh air,
breathing through a hose routed out the window? Should I just get a TR3 to
eliminate those troublesome side windows?

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO