Re: Windshield woes

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Windshield woes
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:39:45 -0600
Michael Hargreave Mawson wrote, in re a new, broken windshield:

> The seal should be re-usable.   Can you not claim a new windscreen
> (professionally fitted) on insurance?

Great point. I carry zero-dollar replacement on all my windshields -- after I
moved here it seemed every windshield in Colorado was cracked. That alone seems
to have protected me against any stone-cracked windshields. It turns out that
the
coverage (USAA) also includes pitting, which may be more of a risk for my 40
year
old, returned to daily service TR4 windshield. A windshield on a restoration may
not qualify -- say, if you bought it broken -- but the new one with the crack
might go through. Then it's just a matter of the deductible

I haven't tested it with the old Range Rover yet, which has a smallish crack in
the heated windshield. I'm not sure they'll pay for a new *heated* version, and
the crack is upper right, not going anywhere.

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO