ZS carb question

To: "Rick Barnard" <rstirb@townisp.com>
Subject: ZS carb question
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 22:17:29 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Message text written by "Rick Barnard"
>       I attempted to adjust the mixture on my ZS 175 CD's tonight.  I
was following the Leyland book, that is, lift the pistons 1/4" and the
idle dropped and the engine almost died.  So that means they are too
lean.  Took my handy Zenith adjustment tool and tried to adjust
clockwise, BUT both carbs are already at the max adjustment.  These
carbs are only 3 years (6K miles) after a "professional" rebuild.
        I wonder if I have the incorrect needles?  The car has a rough
idle, but seems to run good at speed, and the plug color is normal.
        Any advice appreciated!
<

ISTR that the proper lift distance is much less than 1/4 inch.  What ever
that distance is it is very important that you lift it that amound and no
more.  It is meaningless to lift the piston a random distance (as I've seen
done) because you you can easily lift a piston enough to cause the engine
to die no matter where it is set.  Get a drill bit of that diameter and use
it to accurately gauge the amount of lift.

Cheers

Dave