Re: worn Splines ?

Subject: Re: worn Splines ?
From: "bruce britt" <bebritt@gate.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 22:42:59 -0400
Listers,

I was having same problem with my wire wheels. Left rear to be exact.  With
parking brake set and wheel off ground, I could rotate wheel back and forth
approx 1/4 inch. This also made a clunking noise every time I shifted.

Thought it had to be worn splines, but after investigating
further (with help from my brother) we realized this was the wheel I
replaced the knock off nut (spinner) with a
new shiny one from TRF. After comparing with the old
one we discovered the new one has a raised lip in the
bottom of the threaded part, which bottoms out before
it actually gets tight enough. Put the old one back on and
every thing is fine. (but not shiny)

Hope this helps other people with same problem.

Haven't contacted TRF yet to see what they say.

Bruce Britt
Lakeland, Fl.  64 TR 4        CT 37049 LO

bebritt@gate.net