Re: GT6: Bonnet Louver Info Needed

To: msecrest@erols.com
Subject: Re: GT6: Bonnet Louver Info Needed
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 08:39:26 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

<< Are the side louvers a weaker area than the top louvers?  Because it seems
 to me that the top louvers would be a more effective place for cooling >>

Martin,

The side louvers do seem to be weaker.  I think because of the flex action
over time created by using the bonnet latches to raise and lower the bonnet
(I try to do most of my bonnet lifting from the center of the bonnet after
it's been released).

I have to agree with you that the top louvers are better for cooling....the
side louvers may help with air flow but it seems to me that the fan will blow
more air past the engine and out the top louvers with more efficiency.
Looking into the side louvers when the bonnet is closed, most of the surface
area of the side louvers is blocked by the sides of the bulkhead so I can't
imagine how effective they are??

Here's what I can share with you on the side louvers anyway (all of this data
comes from the driver's door {LHD} side):

There are 8 slots (5 1/2" long open slots in the sheet metal).  It looks like
the slots were created from punching out the sheet metal from the inside of
the bonnet which, in turn, left the raised louvers corresponding to each
slot.  The louvers are 1/2" wide.  There is a long, narrow bump-out in the
sheet metal that is also 5 1/2" long, approximately 1/2" wide and "bumps out"
not quite as far as the louvers do from the bonnet surface.  It runs parallel
and next to (on the door side) of the very first slot (the slot closest to
the door).  This bump-out evidently was done to give the first slot some
reveal and perhaps some strength.

Picture the louvers first as a series of eight 5 1/2" long, 1/2" wide
vertical sticks all positoned parallel.  Now, like dominos, collapse all of
the sticks to the left (this example is for the driver's side) so they remain
parallel to each other......to a point where the overall height (top to
bottom) of the "collapsed" 8 sticks is 4 1/4" and you'll have the angle that
the louvers are tilted.  The bottom edge of this "tilted array of louvers" is
6 1/2" from the bottom edge of the bonnet and starts with the bump-out 9"
from the bonnet edge next to the door.

I sure hope you can snag a realtime glimpse of a GT6 or Spit/GT6 with the
side louvers because I know it's gotta be difficult to visualize all of this
even if you have photos!

Good luck -

Chip