Re: Red-Line Driving

Subject: Re: Red-Line Driving
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 01 11:36:38 -0700
>My point here is only to say that Triumph motors in general do not
>possess the design features that are generally necessary for high-rpm
>running.  It's not to say they CAN'T run at high-rpms providing that
>modifications have been made to allow for it.

Kas was getting 7000 RPM out of GT6 engines.

> In my TR6, for
>instance, there seems to be no point whatsoever in revving it higher
>than, say, 4000 rpm

It is all a matter of perspective.  Why not just drive a Cadillac
convertible and not a sports car?

>My contention is that most Triumph motors are happiest in the 2500 to
>4000 rpm range.

I agree for cruising down the highway.  Somehow I get the impression that
pushing a sports car towards its limits does not get your juices flowing.

There is something exciting about the tyres desperately gripping for
traction as you slam a roadster through a tight curve, pressing the
accelerator to the floor as you come out of the curve and start thinking
about lining up for the curve the suddenly appears ahead.

TeriAnn Wakeman               If you send me direct mail, please
Santa Cruz, California        start the subject line with TW -
twakeman@cruzers.com           I will be sure to read the message

http://www.shadow-catcher.net      <- Photography for sale
http://www.overlander.net          <- Web directory for Land Rover
http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman   <- My personal web site

"How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
Amelia Earhart 1898-1937