I remember Don Horn...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: I remember Don Horn...
From: Bill Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 18:31:50 -0700
Hello Listers,
        I need to share this with someone, and I feel that you fellow
LBCers would most understand the loss of a good friend of over 50
years. The following happened just as I describe and I was unable Not
to put it in writing.

We received a phone call this morning from Margaret, I knew instantly
from her voice that Don Horn had died. Suddenly the World had changed
and would never be the same again.  I was numb with shock and grief
for some time, but then memories began to form in my mind.
        I remember Don Horn, at the County Shelby Sports Car Club in
Memphis, Tennessee, Don...and Margaret never cared that I was a poor
Sailor from Millington, only that we shared a love for cars and the
people who loved them.
        I remember Don Horn, at Halls, Tennessee airport, screaming
around the track in his AC Bristol, and later in his Jaguar XKSS.
        I remember Don Horn and  the rides I had been on with him,
from a Volvo P1800 to a Ferrari 410 Super America and I went to the
garage and started Casper, the Ghost of the Triumph that first led me
to meet Don Horn.

I remember Don Horn.

        I backed the Triumph out and went down the back winding roads
of Calaveras county, wind in my hair, the sound of the engine singing
in my ears, and I tried to hit those perfect apexes on the curves,
the tachometer climbing, the engine singing. When suddenly it became
more and more difficult to see the road...my eyes were filling with
tears as I remembered...Don Horn...I felt him at my side, my Ghost
passenger in my Ghost car, it seemed strange to have Don Horn as a
passenger, I will always remember him as a Driver.
        I remember Don Horn, who lived his life to the fullest, with
the Wind in his Face, his Foot to the Floor, the Tachometer at
Redline (or a few hundred above), the Scream of  Engines in his ears.
        I will Always, Always, Remember Don Horn.
--
Bill Pugh
1957 TR-3