Mile High Meander (day 4)

To: SLTOA <triumphs@sltoa.org>, TR8 List <TR8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, TR List <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mile High Meander (day 4)
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 23:11:27 -0400
Last full day before the convention and we drive from Denver to Georgetown
and ride the Georgetown Loop Railroad.  This is a recreation of the
original line that runs up the Clear Creek valley up to Silver Plume two
miles up hill.  Two miles and 400 ft up hill.  A direct shot would be too
steep for the train so the track loops back over itself over the famous
Georgetown Loop on the Devil's Gateway Viaduct.  A one hour and fifteen
minute ride up and back and a one hour tour of the Lebanon Silver Mine made
for a fun morning.

After lunch in Georgetown we headed off on Highway 6 and Loveland Pass.
11,992 ft.  Then on to Leadville and meet up with a group from Houston.  On
the way we stop at a Conoco station at the highway 91 exit from I-70 and
the young fellow at the counter recognized the club exactly for what it
was.  He had a friend who had a coupe and he himself had a Land Rover.  He
was unaware of the convention being held just 30 miles away.  We encouraged
him to come out Saturday and see the cars.

We arrive in Leadville about 4:00 and tour the Mining Museum and learned
quite a bit about minerals and mining.  We finally meet up with the South
Texas group just at dinner time and finally meet the group from Texas.
There was Bruce Cooper (TR8), Bill Sysman (57 TR3), Wayne and Jacky Switzer
(59 TR3), Rus Seto (59 TR3), Mike and Sue Gruy (81 TR8), Vern Burnett
(Miata) and Jeff and Angela Harris (President of Texas Triumph Register).
We sit down for dinner at Quincie's which boasts a wide menu of fillet
mignon.  Your choice, 6 oz, 9 oz, 12, oz or 15 oz.  Side orders are baked
potato with sour cream or baked potato without sour cream.

After dinner we left the restaurant and "OH NO! It's raining!  We dash off
to the hotel and try to get watm.  Yup.  It's really chilly here.  A
pleasant break from the weather back home, if you ask me.

Tomorrow: the VTR!

Meandering in Leadville.

Dave Massey
80 TR8