Re: tr6 electric fan conversion

Subject: Re: tr6 electric fan conversion
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 12:51:24 -0700
Cc: "TR List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Peter Zaborski wrote:
> My assumption is
> that at a certain speed, the fan turns from the force of the air moving past
> it and acts as a "generator" which in turn makes the light glow. Does this
> seem right?

Yes, that's exactly right.

> If it is my theory, is this normal
> behavior for pusher fans?

Also normal for 'puller' fans.

> Is it causing any harm?

Not in the least.  If it bothers you, you can connect the light across
the relay coil instead of across the fan motor, but of course then you
won't have an indication if the relay fails.  (That is, if the relay
fails, the light will come on even though power is not applied to the
fan.)

The puller fan in my TR3A is temporarily wired directly into the
ignition circuit, which leads to the interesting effect that when the
fan is running, turning off the key doesn't kill the engine for several
seconds !  Seems the inertia of the fan blades produces enough power to
keep the engine running until the fan stops ...

Randall