A TR driver on every corner

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: A TR driver on every corner
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 10:05:49 -0600
The long weekend to run up to VTR in Breck reminded me I could *use* vacation
instead of just *accruing* it. So I planned to take yesterday off. Then a
meeting I'd been trying to schedule for weeks shaped up for 9am. But this
day-off disaster turned into a blessing despite the rain clouds over the
mountains, because my lovely wife Pam took the boys with her to a volunteer
meeting -- and I came home to an empty house around 11.

Perfect chance to take a run on the winding roads through the foothills past
Bud's Deer Hunting Grounds. I went south on Kipling and out Deer Creek. Nice
drive, no-one in front of me on the way up, lost the convertible GTO (?) pretty
quick too. <g> Rain at the top so I came back down instead of winding on up to
Evergreen, caught up with a Civic 1/2 way down so I took a side road that looped
around, found the rest of the drive clear. Anyway...

1. parking at my 9am meeting, a secretary walking into the office building asks
about the car. Turns out she learned to drive on a Triumph, she didn't remember
what exactly, she said "no fins, doors that swooped down?" She wasn't sure but
TR3 sounded good to her.

2. getting gas before the drive, a fellow pulled up to talk about the TR4. An
original owner with his TR4 in storage, wondering if he should sell or restore.
It's painted "camero orange with black racing stripes" instead of the original
forest green. I'm going to look at it sometime, with that paint it's probably
worth, what? $500? No sense in *him* restoring it. <g>

3. the fellow with the "hard times" sign asking for change at my exit off C470
mentions he had a TR3. His mom sold it while he was traveling years ago. Hard
times indeed.

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO