Re: Rt 70

To: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Rt 70
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 09:48:04 -0400
Cc: "Pat Fischer" <pfischer@unicom.net>, "David Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>
Message text written by "Fred Thomas"
>Dave 90% of "ALL" interstate highway funds are "FEDERAL" funds, we all pay
federal tax on  gasoline regardless of what state we buy our gas in and
"NO"
these taxes are not automatically given back to each state according to how
much gas each state sells, and lastly I doubt any car can travel through
Missouri on Rt 70 without stopping to buy gas or buying something of some
sort anyway, whatever the "Hancock Amendment" is it certainly has nothing
do with federal funds in Missouri and yes next time I sure would take
another route other than 70 through Missouri.  "FT"

<

Fred,  first off, Missouri is 250 miles wide across the portion covered by
I-70.  I can easily squeeze 300 miles out of a tank of gas in most of my
TR's.  I can get almost 500 miles from a tank on either of my "modern"
cars.  An 18 wheel rig, sporting two 150 gallon tanks, getting 4 MPG can
cover almost 1,000 miles between fill-ups.  As you can see, it would not be
hard to fillup in Kansas and drive to Illinois in all but a few vehicles.

Second, the tax levied on gasoline is not ALL federal road tax.  Some of it
is state and local sales tax.  And speaking of Federal road tax, the
formula for redistribution of these funds is arbitrary and capricious, at
best.

A third point I should raise at this time is that I-70 is one of the (if
not THE) first sections of the interstate system and as such (being the
oldest) is in the worst shape and in dire need of reconstruction or
replacement.  In fact they are in the evaluation process of what to do
about it (widen it of supplement it with a parallel route).

In the meantime, take I-80

Dave