TR6 Transmission Problems

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Transmission Problems
From: Michael Graham <mgraham@achilles.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 20:39:20 -0400
My 73 TR6 (non-OD) just started to become very difficult to downshift from
3rd to 2nd. Feels like its is totally mechanically "locked out". I had the
transmission apart last winter and filled it with synthetic gear oil (Red
Line). The syncros looked good at the time.

I checked the fluid level in the clutch hydraulics, and the level is fine
and there is no sign of any leakage. Also re-bled the system to make sure
there was no air locks.

Since the rebuild I have had some difficulty with the transmission popping
out of 2nd when downshifting, and based on earlier discussion this seems to
be characteristic of some experiences with the synthetic fluid. I also
recently adjusted the 2 bolts (at the top of the transmission)that define
the travel of the shifter itself.

Tonight I can downshift at low speed OK, but the popping out of 2nd on
deceleration seems to be worse.

Questions are:

1. What might be causing this inability to shift down to 2nd?

2. Given the fact that I have been popping out of 2nd anyway, should I
switch back to regular gear oil?

3. If I go back to regular gear oil, what weight is best?

As usual, thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice. I'd like to get
things sorted out before heading to "The British Invasion" in Stowe in a
couple of weeks.

Cheers, Mike Graham
73 TR6