Mechanical Engineering question (long, but on-topic)

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mechanical Engineering question (long, but on-topic)
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:01:10 -0700
Listerati :

Here's a ME-type question (and I welcome input from all quarters, no ME
degree is required <g>)

I recently bought an original-type luggage rack for my TR3A, the kind that
fastens into the hinges and clamps to the edge, so that no holes are
required.  It comes with special hinge pins that have a hex head and then a
threaded shank on one side, to fasten the arms of the luggage rack to.
After slipping the arm over the threaded shank, there's an acorn nut that
finishes it off.

My problem is that installing or removing the rack involves unbolting one of
the hinges from the body, which is a PITA since my intention was to only
wear the rack to long distance events.  What I would like to do is come up
with an alternative pin design, that could be installed and removed without
taking one of the hinges loose.  I've got a lathe, and some SS stock, so no
problem, I'll just turn a pin that suits me.  Unfortunately, I've already
demonstrated that friction cannot be relied upon to hold the pins in place,
there needs to be a locking mechanism.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

I could drill the pivot pin for a tiny "hitch pin clip", but that seems easy
to lose and likely to scratch the paint.  Same for an "E" clip.  A Helicoil
inside the hinge (and suitable matching threads on the pivot pin) might
work, but surely there's a better way.

Just for motivation, I'll make a set of pins in SS for the first author of
an idea I use.

TIA
Randall