Condolences to the Free World

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Condolences to the Free World
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@home.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 00:32:02 -0500 teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f8D5VhQ20989
Cc: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
...but our Flag was still there....

I am shocked an horrified at the pictures I have seen in these past two days.
Working in the financial industry, obviously, my world has ground to a halt.
That said,  I have been glued to CNN and others to learn ASAP the W5.

Our local tabloid covered the page with the War Zone of the WTC... in the
forefront was the American Flag in one piece, untouched.  Nuff said?

I am 33.  In 1986 I traveled with the school to France as the culmination of 6
years of "French Immersion" schooling.  This was months after Lockerbie, and I
was greeted at the Swiss (!?!) customs by officers toting Uzi's.  I was stopped
on the streets of Paris 3 (!!!) times and they demanded ID.  Leaving France, I
was within 100 feet of a bomb threat  issued against Pan Am Airlines - talk
about a wake up !!

For those of my generation, and those who think we have not experienced Terror,
consider this.  When I was in High School, movies Like War Games were taken
seriously by Us.  Computers were "new", and no longer could we rely on the
Rationality of Mankind to execute self-preservation.  Maybe the machines might
make a mistake?  While the Cold War as the Boomers s knew it has passed on,
what has followed is perhaps more frightening.

Perhaps it is Jealousy that has caused certain elements to attack the Free
World and its' most prominent symbol?  Who knows.  What I do know (or feel) is
this:

- - - "We" are at the top of the food chain now, but  Darwin had a theory...
Evolve or become extinct.
- - - Those ignorant of the Past are condemned to repeat it.

I pray that in today's sophisticated "World" - so much smaller than it was even
10 years ago - that the lessons of past conflicts will unite the Free World
against those who wish to dominate all they can in the pursuit of power for
power's sake.  Perhaps the event of September 11, 2001 will be the genesis of a
New World Order, where  Russians, Germans, Americans, Japanese (etc) unite
despite their past differences.  Why cultures still feel that attacking other
cultures for their way of life is justified  - or even a Higher Calling  -
confounds me.  But, while I would be more than prepared to fight for "our" way
of life, I pray that I  never am placed in a situation where m help is needed
or called upon.

My thoughts are with all who have, and will, suffer from this attack on our
Freedom.

Dave Terrick
Manitoba, Canada, AMERICA