RE: TR6 engine rebuild

To: "Dennis N Culligan" <dncullig@us.ibm.com>, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 engine rebuild
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 16:19:18 -0400
Does anyone have
>any "educated guesses" on how much this rebuild is going to cost?

Hi Dennis,

I am sorry to hear of your engine troubles.  You may not need a new crank.
You have to do the disassembly to find out what's actually broken or worn.
The engine was due anyway with that many miles on it.  This an opportunity to
have a brand new engine.

My experience on a TR4 engine was:

~$1300 for parts
~$700  for shop work

I did all the labor myself.  You would have to add in labor and I can't put a
number on it.  I would like suggest that the engine is not all that hard to
do.  The gearbox is more complex.  It looks more complex than it really is.
Check out my engine rebuild section on my website for a description of the
process. If you follow the haynes manual step-by-step you can get there.

I have heard many engine rebuild numbers that are much lower and I am baffled
at how they were calculated... but that's my input.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L(O) - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn