Re: Need Help with Ignition Problems

To: Bill Cutshall <bill@steelstudios.com>
Subject: Re: Need Help with Ignition Problems
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 21:27:54 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Bill :

Are you testing for spark right at the coil ?  Or at a plug wire ?  If
the latter, I would suspect the rotor.  Change it, even if it looks
good.  Could also be the cap or wires.

You can test right at the coil by using a long screwdriver (or two) to
jumper from the coil center terminal to the valve cover, leaving a small
(1/8") gap at the valve cover.  Have your friend hold the screwdrivers
while you crank the engine, I think he'll find this beats the "nuts"
test all hollow.

2.4v is too low across the coil.  Run a jumper to the battery and leave
it in place for further tests.  Check the voltage across the coil
terminals again.  However, I'm not familiar with the Ignitor, it may
reduce the voltage across the coil when the engine is not turning.

Randall